Wednesday, July 16, 2008

info overload

We got news from Malawi this week that the house we had been staying in was broken into. The missionary that lives there now had $500 stolen from him and a digital camera. He had the money there because he was getting ready to buy bibles for a church that he would be visiting soon, so that is especially sad. The envelope was even marked for it. We also found out that our video camera is gone. (We still have things there, as we had expected to go back by this fall when we left.) Things like this happen in Africa. It is sad, but you grow to expect it if you are there for any period of time. I am glad that no one was hurt. The hardest part is that the thief appears to be someone we all know – but that is usually how it is also!
So, we could live our lives there in fear and mistrust or we could choose to love people. The same thing applies for here in the States. As Shawn and I get ready to look at churches to interim at while we figure out if we are going back overseas, I have had a hard time getting all my emotions in check. I want to tell myself not to get too involved, but I know that’s not what God has for me. So I get a little angry that I have to love people and get my heart broken again. I get even more worried that my kids will do this! But God never promises that our hearts won’t be broken – in fact his is broken each day by the creation that he made to worship and love him, who chose not too! Craziness, this God of ours! And Dangerous, overwhelming, take-your breath away! But I am so amazed and awed to be his child.
We got a few updates from a friend's daughter who is in Swaziland this week, and I read through tears as my heart longed to be in Africa. God is good.
In other news, Shawn finally had his teeth removed yesterday. He was put under general anesthesia, and coming out of it was pretty funny! They kicked him out of office before he was even really awake – they were really busy and needed the room, I guess! I practically dragged him out to the car, all the while saying, “Babe, open your eyes so you can see where you are going and we don’t fall on the gravel!” When I said that he would open his mouth wider! Then I would start laughing and he would get heavier…it’s amazing that we didn’t land in a pile on the driveway! I got him in the car and asked how to get home and he said, “Left,” so I turned left. Then he said, “No, right.” Then a minute later he said, “Left.” I just laughed because I realized that he wasn’t going to be much help, and found my way pretty easily! Every 10 minutes or so he would wake up and say, “Am I done?” Finally I left him in the car to get his prescription at Rite Aid and when I came back out he was actually awake for the first time! He doesn’t remember anything before that!
Then today he decided to try to finish a painting job because the weather was nice, but he was only there a few minutes when a bee stung him in the eye twice! He was in a lot of pain and started getting nauseas (he did just have surgery!) so I took him home! Poor guy! He is doing much better now! LOL!
I tried to publish photos last post, but I can't tell on dial up if it worked! Sorry! It takes a long time!!!

No comments: